Siirry pääsisältöön

Turkish Government Tried to Stop my Tweets

Today, I experienced something never before. Propably the fake Twitter user of Turkish government tried to silence me tweeting my commentaries of the demonstrations in Istanbul. Tweets from which I got the personal RT record - thank you for sharing, and please do that!

I have Turkish friends which are touched by the current demonstrations in Istanbul. Demonstrators are against the plans for building a mall to a park and they criticize the government for undemocratic decision making during the process. People were not heard and they claimed the decision makers for the corruption.

So, they did the only thing they could do. Go to the streets.

And the government response has been attacking against the demonstrators with the hard force. With rubber bullets, teargas, water canons and chemical substances I thought it was not even possible to use this day. I admire the demonstrators for their spirit and the courage to go to the street when everyone watching the incident outside can see that the police force is breaking the human rights after another: freedom of speech and expression and freedom to demonstrate. The police has acter very brutal and it is obvious that they hace acted against the international laws. Or what do you say of the video where Police's armed vehicle mutilates the demonstrators. I felt sick when I saw this video.

Later today, I read an article in TechCrunch which stated that it had been verified that access to Facebook and Twitter has been made difficult for the users in Istanbul and also in other parts of the Turkey. These media are the only media people in Turkey get information since the government has the tight controll over the Turkish media which hardly covers the incidents at all. I suspect that in distant parts of the Turkey people do not even know that something serious is happening in their major cities.

I have been active in sharing and commenting the events via Twitter since I have people in Turkey which I know  and care to. Gladly many of my tweets have been retweeted actively.

Today, I got an odd message from a twitter user called @hasbenntakenn. He said: " it doesnt matter for you. this is national protest..." and when I conflicted with this the user continued: i dont support govertment and you understand me wrong. we dont need support. its only national protest. why u are doing show?
Turkish government is not only trying to silence the demonstrators but also their supporters overseas.


The person behind the tweets has only 43 tweets, he is following 60 users and only 10 is following at him. This indicates - correct me @hasbenntakenn, if I am wrong and I am sorry if I am - that this is a fake twitter account the Turkish government uses trying to silence the most actice foreign tweeters. I asked my anonymous Turkish friend to check out his tweets and the person concluded:
  • he is a supporter of the government. Seems so they are trying to silence every one!
It is obvious that I believe my friend in this matter. There seems to be also another government supporter commenting my tweets. He says that I do not know nothing. User @ibusinesslounge claims that I do not know nothing since Turkish government got 52% of the vote. My answer to him is that this does not give the right to oppress the minority. As someone put it: democracy's value is measured by how they treat the minorities.
As a free twitter user and a person concerned the human rights I am disgusted of the policy how the government and their supporters try to silence the international support and coverage of the events. This is crucial since the national media is censored and does not cover objectively what is happening.
My message for demonstrators is: defend democracy and defend human rights. They can't silence me either! And do your part, share this!

Kommentit

Tämän blogin suosituimmat tekstit

Slavery was abolished in USA in 1865, in Finland it was done in the 1950's

In 2010 Finland's National Brand Committee lead by former Nokia CEO Jorma Ollila presented its paper to a former Foreign Minister Alexander Stubb. The committee stated proudly that Finland was the forerunner of democracy since Finnish women became the first in the world to have unrestricted rights both to vote and to stand for parliament. But something was left out from the report. Something which was part of the Finnish Social Policy in many decades of the 20th Century. In many countries this would be called slavery. And this is something which is quieted story of the Finnish history. A modern time slavery. Finnish historician Jouko Halmekoski writes about the modern slave market which was the fact in Finland as late as in the 1950's. He interviewed 25 persons who had been auctioned away by the local government in order to save money in sustaining the children. The lowest bidders won the custody of the child for one years period. Ironically the auction was held in the 29

Kasvien keruu ja herbaario - prässäämisohjeet

1970-luvun peruskoulu-uudistus unohti kasvion! Kuulun siihen peruskoulusukupolveen, jonka ei tarvinnut kerätä kesälomansa aikana herbaariota eli kasvikokoelmaa. Se oli sääli, sillä pläräsin useasti veljeni keräämää upeaa 50 kasvin kokoelmaa. Selasin usein sen sivuja ihastellen kauniisti kuivattuja ja prässättyjä kasveja. Olisin halunnut koota sellaisen itsekin. Se jäi, kunnes vihdoin tänä kesänä pääsin kannustamaan poikaani hänen kasvinkeruuretkillään. Sain seuratakin häntä ja hänen serkkujaan metsien siimekseen ja peltojen pientareille. Hienointa oli, että hänen opettajansa jopa kannusti vanhempia ja isovanhempia sekä lapsia liikkumaan yhdessä luonnosta nauttien - kunhan lapsi valitsisi poimittavat kasvit. Matka aurinkoisella soratiellä kohti luontoa ja kerättäviä kasveja. Kasvienprässääminen palasi takaisin Jossain vaiheessa kasvien kerääminen palasi peruskoulun opetussuunnitelmaan. Vapaaehtoinen, mutta numeroon positiivisesti vaikuttava, kasvikokoelma kerätään yleis

Today's Rudolf Koivu would be a Game Designer

Rudolf Koivu (1890 - 1946) is one of the illustrators which has affected me most. Even if Finland's most known illustrator died already in 1946 there is no one which has escaped Koivu's sensuous lines, magical creatures from childrens' stories and Christmas cards. I claim, Koivu is for Finns the same than Carl Larsson for Swedes or Mucha for Czechs. Or perhaps even more than that. Last summer I visited an exhibition full of Koivus drawings to different Childrens' stories. It blew my mind out. Pictures to the stories by Grimm, Topelius, Andersen were all presented. Thinking of the fact that the world was not full of images Koivu's characters, trolls, sceneries and mystical creatures were amazingly original ones. Unlike today's illustrator who has grown in a world full of images, Koivu had to bring these creatures from his mind. That is a thing which often has been neglegted. My first memories of Koivu, though I did not know that by then, were the sensuous cov